Indoor Positioning Solutions (IPS) is analogous to GPS in an indoor space. The folks at Radianse combine active-RFID and location information to enable systems, applications, devices and clinical spaces to automatically initiate actions based on circumstances or events at a point in time.
Here are some of the things they claim can be done with their system:
- Real-time asset location â€“ right equipment in the right place at the right time
- Improved preventive maintenance/recall management
- Reduce time searching for equipment
- Improved cost capture
- Information on utilization rates
- Rental and lease reduction programs
They say they can also help keep track of people to:
- Reduce risk for ambulatory patients
- Improve flow times with accurate measures
- Increase staff security
- Improve satisfaction
- Spend more time with patients
Seems like very nice stuff. They recently presented to our Washington HIMMS chapter and their briefing is available online. I can think of lots of other uses for this technology. More on that later.